Director Donna Cox was one of just 120 participants in NSF's Broader Impacts in Research and Discovery Summit, held in Washington DC from June 21-23, 2010. Sponsored by the Computer Information Science & Engineering Division (CISE), the summit discussed the five NSF criteria for broadening the impact of research it supports. Well known to NSF grant applicants, the criteria ask that researchers make a case for how their work will:
- Advance science while promoting teaching, training and learning
- Broaden participation of underrepresented groups
- Enhance infrastructure for research and education
- Provide broad dissemination to enhance scientific and technological understanding
- Highlight the benefit to society
The summit's discussion resulted in a new set of review guidelines.
The NSF Building in Washington DC